Monday, December 21, 2009

Act Your Age

I can't remember how many times I've been told this, and I'm talking about recently. I can't say I agree with this phrase, acting your age isn't any fun!

No, I'm not telling you to throw your check book out the window or to stop paying your utility bill, but always acting your age is just silly. I only act my age when I need to.

When I'm at work, sure, I put on my button down shirt and slacks, keep my shoes looking good and have a professional tone. That's just part of the working world, at least, my working world.

Finances too, I have a mature outlook on. I'm very careful with my money, always paying bills on time, saving plenty each month, all that adult stuff. I do this because it makes sense, ruining myself financially won't get me far so I'm not about to let that happen.

But outside of those moments that require the professional me or the responsible me, I don't really act my age all that well.

I can be loud and rough house when it's not exactly appropriate, like in the middle of my local mall or while I'm grocery shopping. Why? I suppose cause it's more fun than acting professional all the time. Of course I'm respectful to others and don't get in their way, but that doesn't stop me from riding the shopping cart around like it's a car.

Mixing maturity and the kid inside can make for a lot of fun in other ways too.

Being so careful with my money but still embracing the child inside lets me buy all those things I had to beg for when I was a kid. Did you ever want a go kart? Maybe you used to want that RC Helicopter or an awesome RC Tank, who knows? You can buy all that stuff now!

Letting the little me inside out is also great for creativity. Whether it's writing these articles, drawing a picture or thinking of something fun to do, the side of me that handles the bills isn't so good at those things.

One fun little thing I noticed this holiday season, the little you is pretty darn good at choosing gifts for other people. I think I got some awesome gifts for everyone this year and I didn't have to ask a single person. I just stopped worrying about what I thought they wanted, forgot about checking prices, and let that kid inside find the right gifts.

It might sound a little silly, but it worked for me, give it a try.

How often do you let the child inside have free reign?

Have any stories to add? Leave some comments and don't forget to follow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment