Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Good Deed Goes a Long Way

A happy and fulfilling life doesn't just mean thinking about yourself every waking moment. Interacting with others is just important, even if it's only long enough to help them, which is what this is all about.


When you see someone who could use some help or who has forgotten an item at check out, why don't we do something about it? All too often we're given opportunities to help someone else and it's often considered but we rarely act upon it.

Some do often act, but those people are far fewer than those that turn a blind eye to these opportunities.

Why Not You


Most often it seems that we don't bother with these opportunities because we feel that someone else will act in our place. Maybe the next car that drives past will stop or the old couple can handle their 50 bags of groceries on their own.

Do we honestly believe ourselves when we say that? Or do we just say it to ourselves to make us feel less guilty about ignoring someone we could easily help?


Good Deeds Aren't Done for Recognition


Maybe we don't offer our assistance because we don't think we'll be recognized for it?

I won't say it's not possible for that to happen. I stopped to help an old couple in the snow a year ago, I never actually helped, just stood there while I was mostly ignored. I'll admit I was a little annoyed as I drove away, I wanted to help and they didn't want it.

After a little while I stopped caring but that experience is no reason to stop looking to help others.

Sure, occasionally you might get a funny look, most people don't expect help from strangers anymore and don't always welcome it openly.

So why not start changing that outlook on the world?

Sense of Accomplishment


I'm sure plenty of people would say it's selfish to help someone else to give yourself a sense of accomplishment. Is it really that selfish?

Sure it's great to help people just because, but what's wrong with feeling good about yourself too?

When I give someone some help, even if it takes 10 seconds, I feel a little better about myself afterward. Why? Because I broke that habit of modern society, rather than going on with my own life, I took that extra minute to better someone else's.

It's a great feeling, give it a try, I'm sure you'll agree!

Have you ever helped someone and felt worse afterward? I doubt it.

It Doesn't Take Long


Okay, maybe if you offer to paint your neighbors house it could take you a while, but that's far more than I'm talking about.

Helping someone take in their groceries on a bitterly cold winters night, that might last 5 minutes. I can assure you, they'll be grateful for far longer and may one day return the favor or pass it on to another.

Next time you see the chance to make another person's life just a little bit easier, don't decide against it. Don't think about how long it might take, or how it could cut into your schedule. Just do it, if it someone makes your life harder, maybe someone will come along to give you hand.

Have any experiences giving or receiving some help when you really needed it? Leave a comment and add to the article! 


Don't forget to follow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment