Thursday, December 10, 2009

I Hate Vegitables

It's true, and probably not all that uncommon in a lot of people. I can't quite place it, but a majority of vegetables disgust me, unless it's part of another food, like pizza, which kind of defeats the purpose.

If you're like me, it can be a little bit of a challenge to get your servings of veggies every day, since they do have a lot of good vitamins and such in them you're body needs.

Here's a couple ways I help myself get all those nutrients I miss out on for not eating carrots, green beans, peas and all of that.

V8 and V8 Fusion


I love this stuff, and before I go on, no I am not getting paid to say it so don't think I'm biased.

It's a pretty simple method, it tastes a whole lot better than straight veggies and has a lot of good stuff in it for you. I usually buy the V8 Fusion since I like most fruits and it's pretty sweet compared to regular V8.

An 8oz glass of the Fusion kind will give you a "combined" serving of fruits and veggies. They seem to like to make it sound like you get a serving of both, but it's a combined serving, so it's more like half a serving of each.

Of course this stuff is pretty expensive ($3.99 +tax around here) and the bottles aren't horribly big, so it could be pretty expensive to get all your servings from this.

Nonetheless it's pretty good stuff and a worthwhile way to get some good stuff in your body without choking down a carrot stick or spoonful of peas, or God forbid, Brussels sprouts.

Total Cereal


This is another brand name I like for it's health value.

Even though the commercials for this were always kind of silly, it does have a whole lot of nutrients your body could use. It also comes in a decent variety of flavors now, from pomegranate blueberry to a classic raisin bran style. I usually buy a box a week at $5.00 each, it's somewhat expensive, again, compared to store brand and even beats out most brand name cereals in price. The box is a fair size, it lasts me a week eating it every morning.

And again, I'm not getting paid to say any of this, I just like these brands and hope you could benefit from some of what I've learned from trying to be healthier.

Multivitamins


These are a bit obvious (though the last two might have been also) but they are a good way to get some nutrients quickly.
I buy Centrum tablets, it's about $19 for a three month supply so it's not a bad value. One problem I've noticed with these is that if you don't eat it with enough food it can give you a stomach ache.

From my own experience you'd want to eat something a little heavier like a pasta or potatoes with it. Last night I just at a yogurt with one and had some discomfort, though it only lasted about 5 minutes.

Multivitamins have down sides though as well.

First of all we are always learning about the nutrients we need and discovering new vitamins and minerals that help us. If there is anything out there we haven't found yet, which I'm sure there is, you might miss out on it if you only take a multi vitamin.



Blending


Think of it as making your own V8, you could either use a blender or a juicer. The difference being a juicer gets rid of the fibrous parts, a blender just shreds everything down into smaller pieces.

I won't lie, these smoothies won't always look like the most appetizing drink in the world, but they can taste awesome if you find a good recipe you like!

Here's a quick example:



  • 1 cup apple juice
  • 1 cup of sliced apple (sweet tasting apples are better)
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup sliced carrots
  • 1/2 cup of cucumber (peeled and sliced)
  • 2 cups of ice
  • a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
Now tell me that doesn't sound pretty good? And I bet you couldn't taste any of the veggies in there if you tried.


With the internet you can find hundreds if not thousands of recipes like this, so why not give it a shot?


Have you tried everything?


For my last section, let me ask you a simple question. Have you tried every fruit and veggie combination out there? If you just said yes, I don't believe you. 


There are so many possible ways to prepare veggies from raw to steamed, fried or in a salad, chances are there is a way to enjoy them. Not only are there are thousands of ways to prepare your veggies, there are thousands of veggies to prepare!


So go out and experiment, not only can it help your health, it's fun and having fun is just as important as being healthy!


Have any other tips on getting your veggie servings every day or some recipes to try out that someone might like? Tell me about em or leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment